GIVING BACK TO THOSE WHO SERVED
Give back to those who served. Our mission is to raise awareness of the sacrifices that US & UK service members, veterans, & their families have made since 09/11
I. SITUATION (Governing Circumstances to Which We Now Respond):
The United States and Great Britain along with their allies have all been at war since September 11, 2001. The terror attacks on that day killed 2,977 citizens from 58 countries from around the world. They triggered the subsequent invasion of Afghanistan (Operation Enduring Freedom) and of Iraq (Operation Iraqi Freedom). This conflict, the longest in US history and one of the longest in British history, has cost an estimated £1,285 trillion (More than $2 Trillion) for the US and £18 billion (More than $25 Billion) for the UK.
Although the war has presented our nations’ citizens and taxpayers an enormous financial burden, it pales in its meaning when compared to the sacrifices borne by our soldiers, their families, friends and communities, Theirs is a cost paid in blood and trauma the average individual has little basis genuinely to comprehend. Theirs is the price paid in lost lives, physical, emotional and psychological injuries and wounds that are nothing less than life changing; theirs is the price paid in long separations from families and loved one brought about by numerous deployments over the last decade. The human cost of war is always both enormous and inestimable. The attacks of September 11, 2001 brought a war that is no different. The situation thus becomes a question: is it possible to repay the selfless service and the lonely sacrifices war has brought to our nation’s soldiers and to the soldier community?
II. MISSION (What We Are Doing About It):
The Sea2Sea Foundation is bicycling 4,200 miles to raise national and international awareness of our soldiers’ sacrifices, the sacrifices of their families, their friends and their communities in answering the call to war since September 11, 2001. Our cycling team departed from Brize Norton, Oxfordshire England on April 21, 2012 to cycle across the continental United States. We will return to Oxfordshire on July 8, 2012.
III. EXECUTION (How We Are Doing It):
- Raise national and international awareness that British and American service members, veterans, and their families have made since 9/11.
- Raise £5,000,000 to benefit the various UK service member and veteran charity organizations (ie, Army Benevolent Fund, British Legion, Help for Heroes) and $10,000,000 for the various US service member and veteran charity organizations (ie, Paralyzed Veterans of America, Wounded Warriors).
Funds raised through sponsorship will be paid direct to the charities through their respective web sites.
B. Overall Concept of the Operation
21.04.12 Start at Brize Norton, Oxfordshire with a cycle ride to London Heathrow (LHR) Airport taking a flight to Seattle 21.04.12 2 days in the Seattle area 24.04.12 The team will push off from Copalis Beach, Washington heading east 04.07.12 Finish at Washington DC on 4thJuly 06.07.12 Fly back to London Heathrow and cycling back to Brize Norton via Aldershot at Royal Wootton Bassett 08.07.12 Arrive back at Brize Norton
- Scheme of maneuver – daily scheme of maneuver to be published (TBP)
- Fire Support Plan – not applicable until 4th of July 2012.
C. Tasks -TBP
D. Coordination –TBP
IV. ADMINISTRATION/LOGISTICS (Some of the Supporting Details):
B. Logistics –Food, Liquids, Puncture Repair Kit, & Lodging- TBP
V. COMMAND & SIGNAL (Leadership Activities and Communications)
- Location of Key Leaders (Cycling Shepherds into & out of towns & villages, Honorary Ride Director for each day, Daily Safety Director, Route Coordinator, Designated Local Cycling Teams) –TBP.
- Chain of Command/Succession of Command -TBP